Sunday, June 2, 2013

Poor as Dirt

We have a saying in the south known as "poor as dirt".  Well, things have been really tight lately and I am poorer than dirt.  I didn't want to spend money on topsoil so I have been cannibalizing it from different areas, old flower beds etc., around the yard.  I guess a more appropriate term would be upcycling.  I can't imagine what the neighbors think.  Hopefully, I will have everything in order by the end of the summer and they will see that there is a method to my madness. 
 
 
 
The good news is that I was able to fill the little lady raised bed with topsoil and get the seeds into the dirt.  I was so excited that I completely overplanted the thing.  I now have carrots, zucchini, peas, okra, cucumbers and watermelon all planted in a 4' x 8' space.  It is going to be survival of the fittest. It will be interesting to see who makes it. 

3 comments:

  1. Yay Christine !!! Welcome to the blogosphere !!! Look forward to reading your posts and having coffee on Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This will certainly be an adventure although I don't know if it will be as exciting as the crocodile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing! I re-use sod...and upcycle almost everything I can!

    ReplyDelete