Friday, May 17, 2013

The Best Laid Plans

The old trampoline is now gone.  It took a lot of time, a small adjustable wrench and a little sweat equity.  There were also a few girlie screams as I encountered an assortment of God's precious creatures and a rather embarrassing screech when I found a jumping spider which has now gone to meet its maker. 


I staked out my garden plot and mowed it to make sure that I like the placement and I do.  It gets sun from morning until evening.  Now I just have to figure out how to prepare the soil so that I can start planting.
 

I didn't dig the compost pit today.  I still can't decide where to put it.  I am trying to balance between adequate sunshine for composting and distance to avoid offending the neighbors.  I will have to decide soon because I started gathering scraps and they really need to go in the ground.



I did get to plant my herbs today.  I had soaked them overnight per the instructions on the cute little packets. Then, I put them in 12 in. terracotta pots.  I wanted to make sure that they have plenty of room to grow.  I just hope that the pots aren't too big.  I also found that a spoon is much better tool for removing minuscule seeds, e.g. oregano, from the soaking cups than your finger.


A few weeks ago, I bought several quarts of strawberries.  I wanted to save some of them so that I could harvest the seeds and plant my own berries.  Since I didn't dig the compost pit, I had a little extra time and decided to harvest the seeds.  I went to the refrigerator and this is what I found . . .


Yuck!  I was so disappointed.  I had decided to put them all in the ever growing compost pile when I thought, "What the hell!  I'll just plant them as is."  -Remember I told you that I have now idea what I am doing.-  I put an entire  rotten strawberry in each of six cups with potting soil and set them out with the herbs to see if anything grows.  At the very worst, I can just add it all to the compost later.


No comments:

Post a Comment