Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Secret Naysayer!!!

Well, I spoke to the man with the tiller.  He confirmed what the Co-op said, a regular tiller does not have the power to get the job done. It will just bounce off of the hard Tennessee clay.  In his opinion, he would have to bring some kind of industrial farm equipment (albeit small industrial farm equipment) to my house ($).  Then, he would have to take down a couple sections of my fence ($$) and he would have to remove at least one - sunk into the ground and secured with concrete - fencepost so that said farm equipment will fit into my backyard ($$$).  He suggested that I use a raised garden bed this year to make sure that I really like gardening.  Can you just hear the "little lady" implied here.  It is a very rational idea, but I know what I want.  He is a secret naysayer!!!!  To summarize, the man with the tiller is no longer an option and I am left with tilling the ground myself since I don't have one of these.


To complicate matters, the growing days are flying by and I need to get the seeds in the dirt now. There is no way that I can till 600 sq. ft. by myself in time to get the seeds in the ground before the growing season is over.  So, I have decided to go with the "little lady" raised garden bed this summer.  My garden area has now decreased to a pitiful 32 sq. ft. plus an assortment of pots.  However, I am also going to prepare the rest of the garden area by covering it with plastic.  I still don't know how many toxins will leach into the soil by doing this.  Hopefully, time and a lot of good amending will take care of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment